Thoroughbred ownership in Canada can be a profitable endeavour due to the comprehensive purse structure available.
The Woodbine Turf course is unique in North America. It is the only turf course at a mile and a half in distance for one circuit of the course. As well, it is the only turf course in North America that is located outside the main (synthetic Poly) track.
It is extremely rare for a graded turf race to be taken off the turf due to the weather conditions. A horse that likes some give in the ground is more likely to get the required going at Woodbine than at any other North American track. The long finishing straight gives many of the long striding European horses an opportunity to excel and stretch out at a comfortable rate that is unavailable at any other racetrack within North America.
• The EP Taylor turf course constitutes 1 ½ miles with a 1 1/8 th mile chute. The homestretch is 100 feet (30 meters) wide; the backstretch at 120 feet (36.5 meters) wide. Turns in the course are banked at 4 percent.
• Race at 1 mile distance from the starting position to the first turn - 2,230 feet (680 meters).
• Race at 1 ½ miles distance from start position to the first turn - 515 feet (439 meters).
• Distance from final turn to finish line, longest stretch in North America at 1,440 feet (439 meters).
• Turf consists of Kentucky Blue Grass, 12" sandy growing medium, 4" drainage layer with clay base.
The main track consists of Polytrack, the same surface used at Keeneland. This track surface was selected and implemented in 2007 by Woodbine, highlighting the organizations priority of a safe and consistent surface for training and racing.
Benefits' of racing at Woodbine for European Owners:
2. Recognized as high class racing
2. Turf course -long straight, suits European build of horse, wide sweeping bends
3. Live racing coverage in Ireland on At The Races
4. Destination: Location, New attractions/developments of real-estate and entertainment at Woodbine
5. Wagering provided by Irish Bookmakers
6. Woodbine website provides live streaming coverage, betting information
7. Strict medication rules enforced at Woodbine
8. Ready access to ship to all North American tracks
9. Immediate proximity to Pearson International Airport
10. Quality accommodation 5 minutes from racetrack
11. Direct flights from Dublin/Shannon to Toronto